Monday, March 10, 2008

Recipe I want to try

My best friend Kristin sent me this recipe & I still haven't made it, but I want to! It sounds really good. We both don't eat beef, but our husbands do, so it's hard finding recipes that will satisfy our hubbies & ourselves. She says this is REALLY good & she wrote it out in the e-mail the way she makes it. I think it will be pretty easy to make this recipe low-fat. I can use fat-free cream cheese & sour cream & the 2% cheddar cheese. I don't think the rest of it is that bad for you. When I make it, I'll give ya'll updates! I'm really going to TRY to start cooking more at home. I really love all the recipes that Jenn posts on her blog Fantastically Blonde Keep those recipes comin' girl! I need all the help I can get! HA!

SPICY BEEF CASSEROLE

Here is the recipe for Spicy Beef Casserole that my mother-in-law makes and I make for us alot (mine w/o meat):

1 1/4 lb. lean ground beef ( if you are making 1/2 of the recipe w/o meat, then only use about 3/4 lb. of meat)
1 clove garlic (I used the jar of minced)
1 tsp. salt
dash pepper
1 tsp. sugar
8 oz can tomato sauce
10 oz can rotel
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried basil
6 scallions, chopped
5 oz. wide egg noodles (comes in larger pkg and I use 1/2 the bag)
3 oz. cream cheese (I use a little more of that, too)
1 cup sour cream (or more :)
1/2- 1 cup of cheddar cheese

boil the noodles in a large pot.
brown the meat. (I use a separate skillet for the next ingredients to separate my meat, but if you want the meat in the whole casserole, then just add these ingredients to the cooked and drained meat): garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, tomato sauce, rotel, chili powder, and basil. Mix and simmer on low for 15 min.
In a bowl- mix chopped scallions, cream cheese, and sour cream and add to the noodles (mix)
Then if separating: add 1/2 tomato mixture to beef and layer in a casserole dish the noodle mixture and the meat tomato mixture. In a separate casserole dish I layer the noodle mixture and the rest of the tomato mixture w/o meat.
Bake at 350 for about 25 min.
Add cheese on top and put back in the oven until melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment